Re: Principals In Furs?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:17:34

At 08:37 PM 9/29/98 EDT, RB7Surf7 wrote:
>The one thing that really turns me off is women wearing full legnth fur coats
>to schools.

call peta! or organize a performance art piece involving spray paint!
seriously, a unit on social commentary could be really cool - kollowitz,
lange, siquieros, goya, daumier, guerrilla girls - there are so many! also
there is this terrific book called graphic agitation published by phaidon
on this theme. i wish there were more alternatives to animal products.
it's hard to completely avoid leather shoes, esp. given our love for birks.

of course, one could argue everyone has the right to wear what they choose,
even if some think slinging the carcass of another animal around our
shoulders is pretty awful. i guess you have to decide where to draw the
line between freedom and cruelty...

wendy

Wendy Sauls
Art Teacher, Kanapaha Middle School, Gainesville, FL
Doctoral Student, Art Education, Florida State University
wsauls
home page: http://grove.ufl.edu/~c4930cqs/home.html