Re: Principals In Furs?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kurt Hasselman (kprs)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:54:20 -0400

While in principle I agree with your feelings of fur coats (I do own a very puffy
white cat), I don't harbor anger against any one who buys one, because I am still
a meat eater, and wear leather, so I don't feel any moral superiority to those who
buy furs, because as vegans will tell you, there ain't much difference. I,
personally, just can't buy 'em.

My generation is on the cusp of what owning a fur meant to women......my mother's
generation was the last of the "glam-fur" wearers......

I have a friend who at 50, is still a single woman teaching in a high school. She
wears her fur, and while she looks like 'a spinster' wearing her fur to school, I
know it gives her pleasure. I know, for example, that a fur means something to
her that is akin to being hugged, that means she is loved, and that means she is
'deserving'---all things that she has NO ONE to be able to tell her--if you know
what I mean... Just as I do not feel anger at others because of how much they
make, what hours they work, etc etc etc....I think it is wasted emotion.......and
as far as the rainforest assignment went, maybe the fur wearing teacher didn't get
it, but I think in the long run, her students lost out by not being able to work
with you.....there are still endangered species out there after all, and the
students, perhaps at the end of the project, would have been able to have a
dialogue with their teacher about wearing furs----but you'll not know that now.

San D