Re: Art History ??!!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:04:51 -0500

Hi,
Not only will historic art on CD's catch their attention, but art in
advertising. I point out to my students how advertisers love to use famous
pictures for ads for their products. Anytime that art is connected to
something in the media ( and the students of today are sure intune with the
media) it definitely catches their attention.
I put up a famous work of art in a special place every week for the students to
view. It's my way of squeezing in a little more art history in a 6 week time
period. The students have the week to record the title and artist in their
sketchbook. For their final test they will have to identify a few of the
pictures.
When The Scream was up, many told me about the Saturn car ad that features the
picture. When the picture Blue Boy was up, I put a picture of a Dutch Boy
paint ad featuring Blue Boy. And I also have an ad for veggie burgers that
features one of Rousseau's work. Whenever I see an ad that incorporates a
famous picture in a magazine or newspaper I tear it out . The kids love seeing
the connections of art and advertising.
MaryB