Art Postal Stamps- Calder and Stuart Davis

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:26:50 -0400

JAGarifine wrote:

> I hope you know about the terrific stamp contest your post office is running right now. You don't even have to send it in yourself. There are entry blanks at all post offices. But the deadline is October 17. It's for ages 8 to 12.
> Judy in Jersey

Just a thought on stamps:
A few years ago, I did a lesson with Stuart Davis and used the
elements of his shapes for a collage project on an enlarged stamp.
The stamp was a piece of 8 x 11 construction paper which was cut
with edge scissors(kids can do the cutting). They choose the shapes
for their picture and created a collage. Stuart Davis painted
collage shapes. meaning his pictures resembled cut outs. Very much
like Picasso/Mattisse. We of course did the vocabulary,scanning,
History and project, because it was DBAE. If anyone needs this
lesson just email me privately. Also the older grades used the same
shapes but they painted.
Now the reason for making a stamp was because Stuart Davis was asked
to make a stamp and we had an actual stamp to show them.
The post office right now has a sheet of stamps you can get of
Alexander Calder. I love them and they are hanging on my studio
wall.
There is also a great picture of him in Black and white on the side
of the stamps. The post office also gave my kids coloring books
which was great, because the next time I do the lesson I have pre
printed stamp
pages for them. I am with preschoolers now. On Calder, someone
mentioned Posters and when I was in high school I lived in Ny and
bought a bunch of Calder circus posters. This was mid 70's and
unfortunately I don't have the posters but I also have post cards of
the same posters and I kept those. I love post cards because you can
put a bunch out on the walls, tables and if you cover you tables
with Plexiglas or something clear, you can slip the cards
underneath(that will protect them) and stimulate the kids. They can
be changed too. (Kind of like a New York restaurant.)

Sandra
astroboy
http://home.fuse.net/astroboy