Sign Language project

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:43:23 -0400

This was just posted on my Preschool group and I think it is a great
idea for a project. See we can learn from everyone!!!!
I'm posting her email address too.
From: Laura Eble <leble.gov>

So sorry. I've been so busy I forgot my manners. I'm a
kindergarten
teacher in Chicago. I teach deaf children and am included with a
regular
kindergarten class for math only. I joined the ring but don't have
time to
check messages everyday. I hope that I will be able to share things
that
are relevent to you. One thing that I've noticed is that many of
you are
teaching sign language when introducing the letters. Here's
something that
will get a lot of attention. I bought a box of surgical gloves and
stuffed
each glove with batting material. I used pipecleaners inside the
gloves and
tied the gloves off with a rubberband. Then I shaped the gloves to
form the
manual alphabet. Sometimes I needed to sew or use hot glue in order
to get
the hand position to stay in place. They turned out beautifully. In
my
room, I have them on a bulletin board with black background paper.
I made
a few extra letters so that I could use them for messages-like Merry
Christmas, etc. I must warn you, this project is a bit time
consuming (I
did it before I had children LOL) but they have lasted for years.

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick