Re: after images

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 17:12:38 -0500

Katherine Giltinan wrote:

> >Hi- I am looking for technical information on after images and the artists
> >to intro with it.
>
> Op Art deals with these optical phenomenon. Richard Anuszkiewicz worked
> extensively on "the effects of complementary colors of full intensity when
> juxtaposed and the optical chages that occur as result". You'll find an
> article, 'The Mind", reproducing his work in "Life Science Library", 1966.

Jasper Johns did a great "after image" painting of an American flag in
orange, black, and green at the top of a grey panel. At the bottom of
the panel is a small black dot. If you stare at the orange/black/green
flag for a while, then shift your gaze to the black dot below, you "see"
the red, white, and blue flag. I have a reference to the painting from
1991 which puts it in the collection of the artist. The title of the
work is "FLAG" done in 1965.

Linda Eastman
Cleveland Elementary
Livonia MI