Re: fairy tales

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:42:59 -0500

Kathy Bollig wrote:

> I am looking for some interesting lesson plans on the theme of fairy
> tales or nursery rhymes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kathy

I've seen scenes from fairy tales done as black and white drawings, then
screen printed (using speed screens and black acrylic paint) onto
squares of muslin which had been colored with natural dyes. A parent
then sewed the muslin blocks into a quilt. It was quite effective! After
it was displayed for a while in the hall, the children used it to curl
up with in their classroom reading corner.

I've also done this one with kdg.: have them use modeling clay to make
the figures/props in a nursery rhyme, each child doing a different one.
Share by turning off the lights and shining a "spotlight" (flashlight
beam) on each set of figures while the child recites the rhyme acting it
out with the figures.

Linda Eastman
Cleveland Elementary
Livonia MI