Re: hello

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 13:09:48 -0500

Julie Dougherty wrote:

> Hello everyone! This is my first time writing so I hope it works. I
> am not in the art education industry, although I hope to be in some
> way sometime soon. I am a nanny of 2, 4, and 6 year olds with an
> undergraduate degree in art history. I have been out of school for
> two years and in that time (while kids are napping or playing on the
> computer) I have been trying to come up with a way to bring my two
> passions together (art history and children) I have come up with an
> idea called art club. It is an afterschool program designed to be
> completely fun but also bring art into children's lives by making it
> very accessible to them. I basically just have a million ideas in my
> head and some on paper but I just don't know where to begin. I guess
> I want to somehow create a program that kids can join after school
> which includes projects, field trips and just basically getting to
> know and recognize different works and styles through looking and
> creating. I have so much more and I am looking desperately for help,
> advice, support and even a mentor since I have no real experience,
> just a great desire to bring art into children's lives. I could go on
> forever about this but i would just really like some feedback on how a
> program like this could work or how I could get started. I would like
> to hear from anyone, especially those in the Boston area who would
> have an interest in creating something like this. Thanks so much and
> I can't wait to chat with you all.
> Julie

Dear Julie,
Just a few things off the top of my head...try talking your ideas over
with a museum educator. Most art museums have enrichment programs for
children under the direction of a professional art educator. you might
also check at local community colleges or community organizations which
offer enrichment classes such as the YMCA, Boys and Girls Clubs, or
community centers. You might be able to offer a "course" through one or
more of these. Good luck!
Linda Eastman
Cleveland Elementary
Livonia MI