Clothing fit for an art teacher ?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 19:14:58 -0500

Hi all,
I agree that professional attire is relative (so many things in life are). But
it upsets me to think that some might abuse the fact that we as art teachers do
get dirty. So they take that fact to the max and wear the sloppiest clothes and
things you'd wear if you were cleaning out the garage. I've seen non- art
teachers dress that way too. I feel that as role models for the students we
should look presentable and that is possible in our field even if we get messy
(and I rarely wear dresses!) I have days where we are only using pencils and plan
on wearing things I normally couldn't. And of course I also have quite a
collection of things with paint and other marks- and those are my work clothes.
I feel that there is a different level of respect when a teacher looks
presentable and not the I'm cleaning the garage look. Like it was mentioned, I
guess what a person thinks is presentable can also be relative. But I hope we all
keep in mind that we represent our field. So like Reatha I hope most of us do
have boundaries. Ok , I'll get of my soap box, but this dress issue bugged me.
BTW- I'm going to look into the Birkes. My feet probs just started last year.
MaryB.

PS. Reatha, I just got the books.