Re: art criticism advice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:29:33 -0500

To help build their confidence start with simple description. Ask them to
tell you something they see in the picture--anything. Once they start
getting approval for identifying the obvious, you should have more wanting
to participate. To get them more involved, you can let them go up to the
reproduction and point to what they see. Because of the language
situation, you may want to start really simple. "Show me something red",
etc.

Move on to more formal analysis by asking if they see any lines, which
direction are they going, point out implied lines and then continue with
the other elements. Move through the other elements, then on to the
principles.
Have them close their eyes, then tell you the first thing they see when
they open them to start discussing emphasis. Keep them moving up to point
out things-- as physically involved as you can stand. When talking about
movement, have them move fast, slow, etc.

Invite them to speculate on what the artist was trying to say, making sure
they back it up with something they see in the work. If they have trouble,
give them two choices--an obviously correct one and a wrong one and let
them choose and then make them back it up.

Ask them if they like the painting. Take a show of hands. Assure them
that is okay if they don't. Then, ask them if they think it is a good
painting. If they think they artist used his/her space well and sent their
message, then they think it is good even if they don't like it.

6th graders aren't too old to respond to all this activity and they'll love
any dramatics you can add to the discussion. Help them "experience" the
painting.

Jasmine
jdp30