Re: Color books

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
David Pyle (davidp)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:21:46 -0600

There's an extraordinary book on color that's recently been released.
There has never before been a color system that fully integrates the
language of color in common usage by artists with a graphic arts color
specification system used for printing with a color specification system
used on computers. Until now.
Jean Bourges has just published a stunning book called ‘Color Bytes’
(Chromatics Press, 1997) that outlines a simple, well conceived system for
using color within any environment. The book includes a nice treatment of
color history as well as the psychology of color.
The Bourges system works equally well for painters as it does for art
students as it does for printers as it does for graphic artists and
computer-types. What the system needs is a range of matching paints
(student and artist’s grades, both). It also needs to be released as a
software plug-in for use in Adobe Photoshop and other image creation
programs on the computer. If those things happen, the Bourges system can
re-write how we all use color.
If the name sounds familiar, Jean Bourges started a company in 1947
with her father, Albert Bourges, to make and market Bourges Color Sheets.
The sheets, and the family, were responsible for a color revolution in the
middle part of this century. Now, as if one color revolution wasn’t
enough, Jean is bringing her original contribution to an elegant,
symmetrical conclusion.
Fun stuff!

David Pyle
CreativEnergy