Re: Tired, anyone?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:42:14 -0500

HI all you tired people.
Yes, life as an art teacher can really zap the best of us, but there are tricks
to making the day seem a little less exhausting. I do something very similar
to Bunki. I let the kids do a cooperative clean-up. They decide who will do
what their table. Sometimes I even list at the board what jobs there are for
clean-up for that period. Like some others I learned after my 1st year there
was no way I could do it all and if I tried I would be committed to the nut
house! I recruit 2 -6th graders every few years. They stay with me as my
special art assistants till they graduate from 8th grade. And towards the end
of their 8th grade year they train 2 new 6th graders and show them the ropes.
These girls come once a week ( sometimes twice ) and clean tools, fill glue
bottles , organize things , you name it. Get your kids do as much as possible.
I like the idea someone had about using a parent volunteer. I think I'll look
in to that for displays.
We all know we have more preparation to do than most teachers. It comes with
the territory and you learn to live with it ( and take vitamins!!). I wouldn't
trade my job with any other teacher in the school!
MaryB
PS- Like Bunki suggested about getting juice and playing music. It does help.
Your classroom is like your second home. Keep some of the comforts of home in
your room. Me- I have a drawer full of chocolate!!!