African masks

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
amanda clarke (clarkea@s-cwis.unomaha.edu)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:11:41 -0500 (CDT)

I am doing a lesson on African Masks with students ages 7-12. I am having
difficulty finding internet sites on African masks.

I am trying to relate this lesson to a theme, such as Masks symbolize the
cycle of life. Also I would like to try to incorporate a short childrens
story such as "Bringing Rain to Kapiti Plain"

Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

This is for an after school program, the time available is approximately
one hour. Their may be as many as 20 students to work with, and the
proposed media is clay (I am still working on that one).

I was planning on introducing the theme, asking a few questions, such as
"Why do people create masks? and What materials could you use to help
celebrate the cycle of life?"

Amanda Clarke
clarkea@s-cwis.unomaha.edu