Re: Combining Sports and Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:35:25 -0400

I join you in mourning a great role model.
Speaking of sports and art, last year I happened upon a lesson that got so
many positive remarks. Fifth graders study figure proportion; first
sketching "sausage" people step by step, then sausage people in different
positions, then sketching from overhead images that I drew (single figures
engaged in a particular Olympic sport) ranging from 30 second sketches up
to two minute ones. Those were really exciting and full of movement. Then
I had them select photos of figures from sports pages of newspapers that I
had previously cut out. They sketched them on black construction paper,
outlined with Elmer's glue, and when that dried they colored them in using
pastels. Very striking result and I think the initial figure study really
helped make them look impressive. I'm doing it again this year (already
have enough pics of Mark McGwire I guess ... have to get some of Cal Ripken
and Flo Jo)
Liz in rural NY