Re: Combining Sports and Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:41:33 -0500

Hi All,
I have combined sports and art for the past few years and it is a highly
motivating theme. My students bring in a picture of their favorite athelte for
a figure drawing unit. We also cover the history of sports and art. Students
are surprised how far back it goes.
We even get to cover Van Gogh when we get to the color portion of the unit, as
the students use short bold strokes from oil pastels to give the feeling of
energy. Any way you do it the sports theme is a popular one with students-
especially middle schoolers. Sandra has some good ideas.

John & Sandra Barrick wrote:

> Well on the death of Florence Griffith Joyner(Flo Jo). I was
> thinking of a project. Not only are self portraits good but also
> Portraits in general. In fact bringing a child's favorite sport or
> athlete is a way to intrigue and stimulate a lesson. Several things
> can be done, Portraits, scenes, Banners(painted and hung) designing
> a logo for 3 different medals

  • Reply: amanda clarke: "Re: scratch paper for printmaking"