Re: Wire sculptures/foil guys

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:19:04 -0500

I use the foil a little differently: regular aluminum foil double sheets
or one sheet of heavy duty, 12" wide by about 15" long. I use a scissors
to cut instead of tear once from the bottom to just under half way up
(the legs) then from the two top corners diagonally toward the center (2
arms and head). I have my students squeeze the "waist" in gently first,
then do the appendages. We talk about where the body bends (joints) and
proportion.

Have done this with first grade but I do the cutting. Art hist. -
Giacometti's sculptures. Primary kids can stick these figures down on a
small piece of black poster board, make costumes out of scraps and/or a
vignette. Upper el kids can pose them (discuss figural proportion and
pos/neg space) wrap them with strips of pariscraft ala George Segal.
Sixth graders have posed them as Egyptian mummies, wrapped in pariscraft
and painted with gold tempera then used permanent fine markers to write
hieroglyph messages on them. Extension of this can be clay sarcophagi to
hold the mummies.

Linda
Cleveland Elementary
Livonia, MI