Re: multiage class

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:17:41 -0500

For an open house while I was at the elementary level, I did an activity
that involved all the grade levels. We turned the library into the ocean.
I broke up the work into different projects that could be handled
separately by each grade level. Older kids drew and painted seaweed while
younger ones cut out and colored fish and so on. You could adapt this idea
to your situation. Choose a theme that would allow individual projects to
be combined in a larger piece. Divide the different pieces up by grade
level, ability level or student choice. Display all the parts together for
awhile and then each artist can take his own part home. This would work
for units on the elements as well. Each group could explore the element a
little differently.

Another idea--Kids this age do centers frequently in their classrooms. You
could use them in your situation as well.

Jasmine
jdp30