RE: Challenging Advanced Student

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:17:59 -0400

Talk to his guidance councilor. If your school has one,then they
should know. Does he have a job? Maybe he sees art as a free time
for him to
sleep or do what he wants. It's really sad to see someone in his
senior
year so apathetic and unmotivated. It really sounds like more than
just you. Maybe he's afraid of graduating. Eventually this cocoon
must open.
He will have to leave the protective confines of school. Definitely
don't give up, keep acknowledging his presence. I don't think I'd
want him to stay in the room and do homework, or interrupt other
kids. He can sit in the office or put him to cleaning your room.
Maybe art is not his thing.
Can he drop the class and get into another. Can another student who
is close to him enlighten you about him. Find out from his records
about him, or talk to some of his other teachers.
Keep me posted.
Don't let him win,meaning if you give him separate assignments, he
will have gotten to do what he wants and he hasn't earned that
right.
Sandra

Jasmine Preston wrote:

> and everything he does and doesn't do is observed very closely by the
> others.He does not want to talk with me. He will answer a direct question, but you can tell he really doesn't want to have any
type of dialogue.
> He has tried to do homework for other classes, which I took away from him. He has tried to sleep, but can't because he sits
with friends who talk frequently and loudly. He has tried to
distract them from working, but they seem more concerned about
their grades.

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick