RE: multiage class

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:47:41 -0400

Are you asking because of the seemingly large age span? Or ability? Or for
curriculum?

We have ungraded primary, and while we have K-1s and 2-3s, I have never
taught 1-3 at the same time. With the primary students, I always started
with the elements of color, shape, line, texture and space. But each year
is a different activity. (Modeling clay color wheels - one of the best
ideas I got from this list, watercolor, construction paper collages, color
mixing.... ) Other times I work with teachers on class related activities,
or large primary themes (Mexico, Africa...)

I have had Ks that could keep up with the 3s and I have had third graders
that could have been very successful with the Ks. Many times I just think
of them as siblings working on a project together. Each age/each ability
level/ each individual will get something different out of an activity. But
so will each student.

I have to think of the activity as introducing, developing, reinforcing or
expanding.

Ellen

PS - I'm very excited. I haven't been able to read all posts since last
Spring, and I haven't been able to reply. I just got a new computer at
school - hope to utilize the list more. I missed it.