Re: Challenging Advanced Student

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:41:51 -0400

Hopefully he doesn't go into design! No really, I see he's going to
see who's more stubborn. Remember kids that age believe they are
invincible.
So tell him directly he is making the choice not to do the
assignment. He can either choose to "Grow up" and do the assignment
or not. Whatever
"His" decision is ,it is "His"choice. I would advise him, does he
really want to have a low grade in an advanced class? You have given
him the oportunity to do independent work, now he has to respect
your rules of the class and as his teacher. Remind him in 6 months
or so(the real world), he is going to be making choices everyday and
he is going to have to live by them. When he goes to College or get
a job,he is going to have to find a way to deal with things he may
think are beneath him. Have him prove how great he is by doing the
best project in school.
If he goes to art school, he may not be king of the hill anymore.
Find your own words, but stand your ground, if it's important.
Besides he is setting an example for the rest of the class and they
may be paying close attention to your reaction.
Sandra

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick