Re: Pressed for time

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 20:55:24 -0500

menichino wrote:

> ----------
> ,Leah wrote:
> >
> > Poster contests create a dilemma for me, as well. It's not that I don't
> > like them, it's that I feel pressed for time.
>
> I feel very fortunate to be in a K-5 school where the building level team
> came up with a workable solution to this ever-present problem. It was
> difficult to fit all the special classes into a typical 5-day week, and
> many teachers were begging for time in which to meet as a department or
> whatever. So our school decided to go with a 6-day rotating schedule
> (which thankfully eliminates all the missed "Friday classes" due to
> holidays & conference days). Adding an extra day to the schedule opened up
> another class period at the end of each day, which we designate as a "flex"
> period. We get the kids in groups of K,1, or 2,3 or 4,5 depending on the
> day. Each of the special areas (music, library, computer, 2 phys eds.,
> art) gets kids. I have found this to be a great time to address projects
> such as posters, integrating stuff with classroom teachers that doesn't
> really fit into what I want to do with the art curriculum, and also gives
> time for the older kids to explore on their own. They don't come unless
> they want to, so it's a great group of artists. Can you tell I _really_
> like this???
> Liz in rural NY
Hi everyone-
I'm new to artsednet and am interested in the discussion on elementary
specials schedules. I teach in a large suburban district with 22
elementary schools. Under our current contract, grades 1-5 have art for
47 minutes once a week, and music, p.e., and library 40 minutes each
once a week. (Kdg. alternates weeks in music and art and goes to p.e.
and library each week.) We are hearing noises about the district
shortening the art periods to 40 minutes in order to make everything
nice and "square" and increase the number of classes of art per day from
6 to 7. Of course the art teachers are opposed to this idea believing
that the quality of our program will be diminished. Our district has
embraced a DBAE approach and will continue to expect us to achieve all
the current curriculum objectives plus new technology /art objectives in
one forty minute period per week and whatever the rotation of classes
through the added "enrichment period" produces.
>From the past weeks' postings, I can see that our schedule is better
than some and worse than others. What I would like to know is, do any of
you know of either quantitative or qualitative studies in which the
effects/outcomes of reducing or increasing the length of art periods is
documented? And do the effects extend beyond the art curriculum into
other areas of the curriculum (reading, math, social studies)?
Several resources are available through NAEA which might help ( No. 409
Purposes, Principles, and Standards for School Art Programs; No. 248
Elementary Art Programs: A Guide for Administrators; and No.250 School
Art Programs: A Guide for School Board Members and Superintendents).
Have any of you read these, and if so, do you recommend them?
There is also quite a bit of documentation on "arts-centered" schools,
but my district isn't quite ready for that yet!
I'm not looking for shallow or superficial opinons but concrete
substantive evidence to present to our contract negotiating team so they
will fight for MORE, not less, art time!
Linda in Monroe, MI