Pressed for time

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:01:52 -0400

----------
,Leah wrote:

> Poster contests create a dilemma for me, as well. It's not that I don't
> like them, it's that I feel pressed for time.

I feel very fortunate to be in a K-5 school where the building level team
came up with a workable solution to this ever-present problem. It was
difficult to fit all the special classes into a typical 5-day week, and
many teachers were begging for time in which to meet as a department or
whatever. So our school decided to go with a 6-day rotating schedule
(which thankfully eliminates all the missed "Friday classes" due to
holidays & conference days). Adding an extra day to the schedule opened up
another class period at the end of each day, which we designate as a "flex"
period. We get the kids in groups of K,1, or 2,3 or 4,5 depending on the
day. Each of the special areas (music, library, computer, 2 phys eds.,
art) gets kids. I have found this to be a great time to address projects
such as posters, integrating stuff with classroom teachers that doesn't
really fit into what I want to do with the art curriculum, and also gives
time for the older kids to explore on their own. They don't come unless
they want to, so it's a great group of artists. Can you tell I _really_
like this???
Liz in rural NY