Re: THANK YOU, WENDY!!!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 08:32:01 -0700

RWilk85411 wrote:

> That person was me. And here I go on another long diatribe. We do not have the
> "best self-contained teacher in the country". She wants a planning period.

Reatha,

I had known that was you when I posted, but did not want to single you out by name.
Believe me, I could feel your frustration and outrage at a very unfair situation in the
first post, and yet knew, by your second post, that you had a lot of compassion. Your
reply/rebuttal confirms this: you are determined to do what you feel is best for _all_
your students.

Is there no one you can discuss this with at your school or district to help ease the
situation? You have a good case, and obviously a lot of proof, that you are more than
willing to work with the special students, but having too many mainstreamed at once is
detrimental to everyone. Keep the discussion focused on the students' needs--both the
regular ed and spec. ed students. Having just a few mainstreamed at a time helps them
learn appropriate social behaviors from the others; having a lot at one time just allows
them to continue feeding off each other.

I have to admit I _know_ I'm very fortunate to work in a small school (650-700) with a
very cooperative staff, and a general student population of students who generally
accept each other.

Best wishes for an improved situation.

Maggie