Fwd: THANK YOU, WENDY!!!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
RWilk85411
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 10:30:27 EDT

--part0_905697028_boundary

In a message dated 9/13/98 2:27:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mwhite writes:

<< One person wrote a long diatribe about the situation in her school. Then,
in another
message, she wrote, "It is best to be familiar with many discipline
theories, then
develop your own. But the main ingredients for success are determination,
persistence,
consistency, fairness and love." _That's_ how you do it. >>

That person was me. And here I go on another long diatribe. We do not have the
"best self-contained teacher in the country". She wants a planning period.
Period. She does not place them in there in compatible pairs of two or three.
She dumps several, some of whom hate each other. I cannot send them back to
anywhere. I can eventually write them up and if their IEP allows they might
get ISS. We do not practice inclusion anywhere but Art and PE. PE because it
is required. And there are several PE teachers so they are spread out
throughout all the classes, not crammed into one.
I don't write very many office referrals. I prefer to handle discipline in my
room just the way I described. I did not say that I don't use the same
compassion, etc., that I do with the other students. But when there are so
many "special" kids in one class, the other students frequently get a
disproportionate amount of time less than the special kids. Frequently the
behavior is not behavior that I would write up any student for. But it needs
my time and attention. We are a large high school. There are several special
teachers. One of them follows up on her students. She is a delight to work
with.
I don't usually ask for IEP's but I would like to know if a student just got
out of jail for assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature because of
his emotional problems, before the student tells me.
Last year I had a special class of nothing but emotionally disturbed/self-
contained kids with a curriculum designed just for them. A class that I asked
for. I was able to give them all the special attention they needed. A
situation that worked wonderfully. I had as many as fifteen of them ( they
came and went as they frequently do) with no aide and no problems. The other
special kids were able to fit into regular classes with no problem. So last
year was really nice and spoiled me. This year I had no place on my schedule
that I could do that.
I do not have a planning period, my choice, so that my art majors would not
be crammed into one of the Art I classes. So maybe my patience is being
stretched. But when I look around and see students who are there to learn,
waiting ,sometimes not so patiently, for me to finish getting someone back in
his seat and on task, again, I get a little upset.
Right now because I am determined and persistent, I am writing a special
curriculum for that class which will allow them and me to make choices about
the level of challenge in each assignment. Most of these kids are
developmentally behind even if they are not behavior problems. And the spread
is so wide that I honestly cannot always set the same standards for them or
make adjustments within the same lesson. So to maintain the level of challenge
for those who are on schedule and to not frustrate those who are at the
elementary level, at fifteen and sixteen, I am designing a different approach
for this class.
Yes determination, persistence, consistency, fairness and love are the key to
successful discipline. But discipline is not the only issue, we need equity
also. There are other students in the room. And their rights are as important
as the special kids'. There should be a limit to how many can be placed in a
class at one time.
Reatha

--part0_905697028_boundary