Re: Frida Kahlo

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:43:35 -0400

This was the finishing touch to Frieda Khalo's last painting
I have achieved a lot
I will be able to walk
I will be able to paint
I love Diego more
than I love myself
My will is great
My will remains.

Painting of still life of watermelon.
Viva la Vida, 1954
(Long live life)
Of course almost her entire life was a battle over her injury she
suffered from a trolly car accident. She was a passenger in a bus
which collided with a trolly car. Frida's spinal column was broken
in three places; her pelvis was fractured; her collarbone, two ribs,
and her right leg and foot were broken. Her left shoulder was
dislocated. Also the steel rod from the trolley car had entered her
hip and come out through her (Pelvis). She also had contracted polio
as a child had numerous miscarriages after carrying fetuses for
several months, in and out of hospitals the rest of her life. Met
Diego when he came to paint a mural at her school as a teenager.ad
an affair with Trotsky,(also Diego was involved with Paulette
Goddard) Of course their communist ways may not have been popular.
She actually died from Pulmonary embolism, but some friends believed
suicide. She and Diego had a very love/hate relationship. Very
volitile Latin tempers(I can relate to much of what she has myself).
She collected pre columbian atifacts(as did Tamayo).
Actually I have a web link for her I'll pass it on if you want, let
me know.
Sandra

--
john barrick