Re: Signing Plan

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 17:37:41 -0400

Toulouse95 wrote:

> Dear Blues,
>
> I just finished doing a signing lesson with my Art I kids. I can't take credit
> for the idea -- that came from Carolyn (b2w6w4kn).

Dear Jill,MJ,et al,
I use to have a deaf student when I taught preschool a zillion
years ago- about 1983 or so anyway there is a terrific book called:
"Signing Exact English",it was a really valuable resource for
communication with young children. Everyone in the class learned to
sign for Clark. Lights flickered, Feet stomped, and Music was felt
by vibration. Well he opened our eyes and the other children
accepted him without any problem. This was a class of pre-K
students.
I have noticed in my son's school (where there are no deaf kids),
that to use the bathroom,the kids must raise their hand and cross
their pointer and middle finger,making the letter "R". This is done
silently so the class is not interrupted. Large sign language
alphabets can be bought at the teachers store also the book's ISBN #
is 0-916708-03-9
that's the soft bound #. It's by Modern Signs press. Also I posted
asian links/calligraphy- there is a link for Kanji and an art lesson
on those symbols would also be fun.
Sandra

astroboy
http://home.fuse.net/astroboy