Re: (no subject)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Peggy Woolsey (woolspeg)
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:47:09 +0800

Bluestruth wrote:

>Calling all Art Teachers!!
>Have any of you taught a neat lesson using sign language? A special ed. class
>in our school (plus some BD kids mixed in there too) is learning sign
>language. They are in the 6th -7th grade (approx. 4th grade level) and their
>teacher is teaching them sign language at the present time. They have had
>many teachers that have given up on them, and this teacher seems to want to
>stay the course. As you know BD kids are difficult at times! Anyway, the
>kids are so proud of themselves-it's very sweet. What can I tie sign lang.
>with the visual arts? I know there MUST be a great lesson, out there
>somewhere, but I stumped on this one! I need a SIMPLE but educationally
>visual....well, you know what I mean!
>Thanks so much, eve

One of the neatest drawing projects I've done was with grade nine students
using sign language. They were quite interested in the visual alphabet of
signing, so I asked them to make a rough layout of their names using the
sign language symbols as reference. They had to draw their own hands in the
proper positions of the letters in their names. They came up with many
unique arrangements (it had to "read" correctly). One student did huge
graphed up hands. they painted or penciled, carcoaled or inked it anyway
they wanted. What an amazing display when they went on the wall. Definitely
generated alot of interest. I got the idea from a mural I saw on a school
in San Francisco.
Anyway to simplify this, kids could outline their own, or other's
hands to spell their names or anything else you wanted to spell. The
composition is important for the images to read across the paper. They will
also come across the idea of overlapping, as some fingers end up on front
of others. They could draw eachother's hands if it proves to difficult to
draw their own. Might work. Peggy