Re: Noisey classes - response

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Betti P. Longinotti (wsfcs-art)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:03:30 -0400 (EDT)

--WebTV-Mail-1488071633-2165

Too much talking... noisy classes... it is a two edged sword. Ever
since I student taught.... years ago... noisy classes have been a
creative problem. I learned to teach with 'music' on in the
background. Actually not at the exact time, when I deliver a lesson or
review or when we are getting started and motivated, but during the work
period. The music helps to soothe my nerves, gives me a chance to be a
real person with my students... they love to see me slip into dance
gesture occassionally (catch me if you can... which they always find
funny); gives me a chance to listen to some of what they like (no
profanity allowed); allows them to talk, not above the sound of the
radio/stereo. It also allows a habit whereby you can sneak in
interdisciplinary music to their present lesson... prepare them from the
beginning that this will occur. I have used music so long as a
background while teaching (studio), it feels very strange when it isn't
on. Also I enjoy conversing with students casually as they work, it
really helps to build rapport. Low level conversation can also be used
an incentive, to be taken away if their jaws are moving more than their
attention to completing their lesson.

Artfully yours,
Betti P. Longinotti
K-12 Lead Art Teacher