Re: noisy kids

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:42:07 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: MarshArt <MarshArt>
To: gregjuli <gregjuli>; artsednet.edu
<artsednet.edu>
Date: Tuesday, September 08, 1998 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: noisy kids

Dear Colleagues,

I agree with Marsha, Canter can work very well. In the elementary school I
teach in, I see many of his ideas at work. However, keep in mind that to
use Assertive Discipline, you must be very conscientious about applying the
system that you present to the students. I am not so good at keeping up
with systems. I have a couple simple systems in place in my room, a la
Canter, but I also combine many of Glasser's theories. Glasser stresses
recognizing student's basic needs (I can't list them right now, I'm brain
dead at the end of the day, I'll bring my book tomorrow) so that they begin
to be intrinsically motivated to produce quality work (instead of
extrinsically). For students who do not value praise and rewards, and don't
care about punishment, Glasser's ideas come in handy. Also, Canter's ideas
don't seem to work as well in high school (from my experience). I recommend
reading about various behavior theories. They will all have some merit,
then you can develop something that you are comfortable with, and that will
work for your classroom.

Sincerely, Leah

p.s. Marsha, good suggestion, some of the most effective teachers I know use
Lee Canter all the way! I'm just not able to keep up with him!!

>To everyone who needs a plan for dicipline... Get "Assertive Dicipline" by
Lee