Re: Complete the phrase.....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
taylorh (taylorh)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 22:11:56 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Christine Merriam wrote:

> Hi!
> This quote was in another educational list I read.... was just wodering
> if we could expand it to inclued artists...
>
> "A Scientist discovers that which exists.
> An Engineer creates that which never was."
> Theodore vonKarman
>
> If it were:
> A Scientist discovers that which exists.
> An Engineer creates that which never was
> An Artist_____(fill in the blank)

The great biologist William Bateson's opinion was that:

Only an Artist can the find or pose the great questions which the
Scientist (and Engineer) must address. ...The artist is the first one to
contemplate both existance and the unknown. ...The artist dreams the
dreams which re-arrange our beliefs and realities.

Sorry that I can only paraphrase a biographer and don't have a quotation
from Wm. Bateson himself.

-henry