RE: Urgently needing some ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 20:21:12 -0400

I'm sure you know about Norman Rockwell. Before doing the
Sat.Evening Post, he was also the illustrator for "Boy's Life"(Boy
scout Mag.) I think the covers went very well with the articles.
Perhaps they could study and present their assignment like a photo
journalist does. With a cover picture. Have theme utilize their
communities for the story. AND NO SENSATIONAL JOURNALISM please!

Have any of you in teaching art/art history brought other art
critics books into play. Of course reading Dore Ashton-"The New York
School", or Harold Rosenberg, Robert Goldwater, or more Modern
critics, would be beneficial. Perhaps introducing the kids to the
writing and that of Modern day could be an assignment in itself.
Could said assignment meet the criteria in an MTV-sort of way?
Whatever it will be interesting.
Sandra

Kurt Hasselman wrote:

> One exercise you can do is have them write poetry using the artwork as
> inspiration...so for example if you show them an impressionistic piece of
> work it can be the backdrop to their poem...but the poem must also describe
> the painting.
>
> Another exercise is to write a piece for a newspaper describing the painting
> that was just stolen from the local art museum.....in a journalistic way,
> using facts about the artist, the artist's time, the size, color, and
> detailed description of the work.
>
> You could have the student's pretend to write a diary entry as Vincent Van
> Gogh (use his letters to Theo as a model) as he describes his daily work on
> "Starry Night" or "The Potato Eaters".

john barrick
Sandra Barrick
astroboy