A 1915 teachers'magazine listed the following rules of conduct for
teachers of that day:
1. You will not marry during the term of your contract.
2. You are not to keep company with men.
3. You must be home between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless
attending a school function.
4. You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores.
5. You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you have the
permission of the chairman of the board.
6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless
he is your father or brother.
7. You may not smoke cigarettes.
8. You may not dress in bright colors.
9. You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
10. You must wear at least two petticoats.
11. Your dresses must not be any shorter than two inches above the
12. To keep the school room neat and clean, you must: sweep the
floor at least once daily; scrub the floor at least once a week
with hot, soapy water; clean the blackboards at least once a
day; and start the fire at 7 a.m. so the room will be warm by 8