Re: Making a transfer

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kurt Hasselman (kprs)
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 17:13:44 -0400

I have done transfers using the medium. First of all the image must be from a
clay based magazine....color images that haven't been laminated in any way, or
sealed in any way...usually magazine images work fine.

Essentially what you will be doing is putting a skin on the image and then
soaking it so that the paper rubs off the back, and the image is imprinted into
the polymer, thus the decal.

You put coats (2+--you must experiment with this I am not there to see your
polymer product, or your thickness in your brush strokes) on the image side,
allowing it to dry between coats. When it is totally dry, you put it image
coated side down in a shallow pan of water and GENTLY rub the back so that the
paper dissolves off. You will then have a skin with the image on it that can be
used as a decal by placing it on something (wood, pottery, fabric, canvas,
whatever) using the polymer as glue. This image can be stretched around things
(again gently). I have done this for over 10 years with my students, primarily
in book art, and on paintings, but occasionally on fabric and ceramics. It is
not like a new decal you can by at the store, but sort of ghostly, so keep that
in mind.

San D