[Fwd: Re: Art Appreciation]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Vanessa Mellom (mellom)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:06:37 -0400

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:52:04 -0800
From: ArtsEdNet <ARTSEDNET>
To: mellom
Subject: Re: Art Appreciation

Thank you for contacting ArtsEdNet.
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/

We assume you meant to send the message (below) to ArtsEdNet Talk, our =
on-line discussion group that takes place over e-mail. You had sent your =
message to artsednet which is our Web site's correspondence =
email box.

Messages that you would like to be posted to ArtsEdNet Talk should be sent =
to artsednet. Please resend your message to this address. =
=20

If you are not already a subscriber to this list and would like to =
participate, here are the instructions:
1. Send an e-mail message to: artsednet-request=20
2. In the body of the message put: subscribe

A confirmation message will be sent to you with instructions on how to use =
the listserve.

>>> Vanessa Mellom <mellom> 08/25 10:26 PM >>>
As a college student I was very fortunate to have had the oppurtunity to
meet Edmund Feldman at a Art Criticism workshop... His book "practical
Art Criticism" presents a wonderful technique for visual analyzing art.
The publisher is Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ in 1994 It is a
short paperback book that offers a workable method of criticism.

His critical process focuses on three things
1. Attending to the visual facts through throuough description (title,
obvious elements)
2. How was it made? What qualities are there in all the elements and
princliples of desgin? What meaterial? and (importantly)Presentation?
3. Speculate about the interpretation "What does it mean?"

All interpretational statements must be backed up in the descriptive
part which must also be as through as possible. =20

I must also tell you that
There is a fourth step , but I think that it should be noted but should
be ignored... Judgement. at least in the first round of teaching.
Because when judgements are made it puts a stop to the interpretational
process...=20

Hope this is helpful...

Vanessa