Re: A&E.N- Help!!!!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:14:16 -0500

Respond to this message.

At 03:26 PM 9/30/97 -0700, petril38 wrote:
>I am looking for and asking for any kind of information on an
>integration between arts, the ecology and computer art. ANY information
>like periodicals, websites, books, and artists themselves would be
>greatfully appreciated!!!!!!! Thank you!!! Kathy

You may want to read a little article about "Project Ecology" which was
published online by Interpersonal Computing and Technology: An Electronic
Journal for the 21st Century.
ISSN: 1064-4326 October, 1993 Volume 1, Number 4. You can find it on the
Web at:

http://www.notredame.ac.jp/ftplib/Journals/IPCT/ipct-v1n04-fromme-project
or
ftp://ftp.lib.ncsu.edu/pub/stacks/ipct/ipct-v1n04-fromme-project

Here are the first couple paragraphs which will give you an idea of what it
is about:

" Late in the 1992-93 school year, my young artists at Salado
Middle School, East Central I.S.D., San Antonio, Texas were involved
in a wonderful international ecology art exchange involving
participants from 9 schools in 5 countries (see list in Chart 1). This
super project was the brain-child of four high school teachers, Tadao
Kawasaki and Mitsuru Takahashi of Katsuta, Japan and middle school
teachers, Sheldon Smith and Mike Lang, of Atascadero, California."

"Using the connections of the Internet, an e-mail search went out
requesting participants for the event. Schools around the globe were
soon requesting to be linked into the project. A multiple mailing list
was developed and maintained by Sheldon Smith to quickly contact all
of the participants with news on project developments. The list of
contacts on Sheldon's computer gave our venture a simple but effective
central organization. His computer and list became a tool for voicing
and solving problems. The power and creative potential of e-mail left
a strong impression on me as 'Project Ecology' evolved."

Yatta...Yadda...Yatta..etc. etc.

This event has continued each year but it was a pre-web kind of Internet
thing. It depended upon e-mail for coordination and administration. The
student art work was sent by snail-mail. The number of participating schools
the second and following years increased sharply. I believe there is now a
portion of the yearly exchange which involves digital images and the Web.
It is one of the earliest examples of the ecology, art, the Internet and
computers.

Hope this helps.

Bob

PS: If you do not have a way to use the Web to get the article, let me know
and I will e-mail you a copy, off-list.

Respond to this message.