Re: a&e.n.environment & social issues

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mary Sheridan (sheridan.23)
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 15:21:40 -0400 (EDT)

Respond to this message.

Kristin,

At Pickerington Elementary, we took our children outside to discover the
dazzling beauty that was found right in our own backyard. So far, our
elementary community has partnered with the greater municipal community,
and beyond, to accomplish :

- the restoration a half-acre wetland on the edge of our playground
- the creation and installation of permanent public art displays
- the performance of plays that integrate writing, visual art, and
performance (puppetry, mime, and music)
- the exchange of ideas through an active, ongoing dialogue between
authors, artists, naturalists, and community resource people with our
students, staff and parents
- the implementation of an interdisciplinary curriculum

We closely watched our children's response to their world and made changes
in the ways that we teach. Our children discovered that their voice was
heard and their ideas were implemented into a five-year, art-inspired
investigation about the necessity to preserve and restore all wetlands,
using our own wetland landscape as our laboratory and studio.

A part of our work is included in the Art and Ecology section under the
heading of "Art and Ecology Curriculum Integration" (Pickerington
Elementary School). I hope that you will visit the site.

Mary Sheridan
Tussing Elementary School
7117 Tussing Road
Pickerington, OH 43147

(614) 759-3400
Email: sheridan.23

On Fri., 26 Sept 1997, Kristin Rauch wrote:

>I find myself visiting and revisiting the art & ecology site on artsednet.
>Last time, I took the time to read the teacher story about a courtyard
>project at Lima West Middle School. Those art students are involved in an
>ongoing collaborative project that will bring a lasting change to their
>community. They took art out of the classroom and out of the picture
>frame and addressed a need in the community. Talk about making art
>meaningful! I'm sure there are lots of other art teachers who help their
>students address environmental and social issues through their art in all
>kinds of ways, in that art classroom and out. How do you do it?
>Anybody have any ideas?

Respond to this message.