Re: Dylon Cold Dyes - And Thank You All For Your Responses

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R. Voyles (rvoyles)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 21:06:20 -0700

Respond to this message.

SUE:

I have done tie dye with twenty plus students with great success. In fact
this Friday I am visiting a second grade class of twenty five and doing
adire eleso (an African Tie Dye technique) to help illustrate the math
concept of patterning. I use applicator bottles or condiment bottles
rather than dye baths. If you can't go outside, use aluminum roasting
pans, or plastic litter boxes and cover table with several layers of
newspapers. I have the children work at stations, maybe four per station
and put their shirts in the bin, then carefully squirt on dye (don't forget
the rubber gloves). When finished put them in plastic bags and let rest
twenty four hours. I send them home to parents the same day with written
instructions to let shirts rest and then the following directions for care.
After twenty four hours remove the shirts from the plastic bags and let
them air dry. Then take out the ties, put the shirts in the clothes dryer
on high heat for thirty minutes. Wash with soap and cold water, regular
cycle before wearing.

Use procion (fiber reactive dye), the brand name Dylon ir good, or order
from Darma trading company. For direct application (using the squirt
bottles) mix a stock solution of 1 tsp calgon (availabel at the grocery
store), 10 tbs. urea (from chemical supply store, Sax Art Supply or Darma
Trading Company), 2 cups hot water, 2 cups cold water. Use a quart jar to
mix , stir in calgon and urea into hot water. When dissolved add cold
water and shake well.

To one quart of this solution add 1 tsp dye for pale color, 4 tsp for
medium color or 8 or more tsp for dark value plus,
4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp washing soda dissolved in small amount of hot water.

Procedure: Just before using, measure the required amount of dye powder
into a small container and paste with a small amount of chemical water to
dissolve thoroughly. Then add dye to total amount of chemical water. Add
the required amount amount of washing and baking soda just before using!
Soda is the last addition and must not be forgotten because it causes the
dye to start reacting. This will keep for 24-48 hours.

The kids love this project and the results are always great. This recipe
also insures the dyes will not fade dramatically with repeated washing.
Have fun!

Ruth

Ruth Voyles
Family Center and Early Childhood
Education Supervisor
The Toledo Museum of Art
P.O. Box 1013
Toledo, Ohio 43697
(419)255-8000
E-mail rvoyles
"It is art that makes life. makes interest, makes importance...and I know
of no substitute whatever for the force and beauty of its process." (Henry
James, Letter to H.G. Wells, 1915).

----------
> From: leah marie willow <lwillow>
> To: PicasoLovr
> Cc: artsednet.edu
> Subject: Re: Dylon Cold Dyes - And Thank You All For Your Responses
> Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997 6:12 PM
>
> I'm not sure what Dylon Cold Dyes are but I have done tye-dying w/ grades
> K-5 and have a few pointers. We did our dying outside to cut down on
> cleaning and otherwise reduce the risk of disaster. We put the dye in
> lrg plastic squeeze bottles w/ spouts so kids could easily squirt desired
> amount in desired location on shirt. After kids dyed their shirts we put
> them in labeled plastic bags. Kids had great time dying and really cute
> shirts. Hope this helps, L
>
> On Thu, 25 Sep 1997 PicasoLovr wrote:
>
> > Thanks art teachers,
> > For your responses to Unmotivated Third Graders, and thank you Mark
for your
> > interesting lesson on Praise, Question, and Propose with the younger
grades.
> > I'm crazy about my first graders.
> > I purchased Dylon cold dyes with cold dye fix to tie dye tee shirts
with my
> > fourth and fifth grade art club. Has anyone done this with 20
elementary
> > children before? Should I buy plastic pails for each color? One art
teacher
> > mentioned putting the tee shirts in the microwave? What's the scoop?
Has
> > anyone done this before? I'd appreciate all input, so that my art club
can
> > create some great tee shirts. I don't want top spend two hours cleaning
up
> > later.
> > Thanks,
> > Sue