Re: a&e.n.environment & social issues

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Christine Beth Johnson (chrbjohn)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 10:27:19 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

My experiences that have been most exciting have spawned from art students
interacting with the community to maatch the community's need. Students
and community representative dialog to decide what is needed and they
collaboratively plan the outcome. This gives students many skills and
expands the communities's awareness of art education. Students have
designed bathrooms for a children's musuem, designed furniture for their
schools or graphics for the community web site. I love the enthusiasm
students exhibit when it is a project they plan and execute and the
support you get from the community of the project and your program.
Christy

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, kristin rauch wrote:

> I find myself visiting and revisiting the art & ecology site on artsednet.
> Last time, I took the time to read the teacher story about a courtyard
> project at Lima West Middle School. Those art students are involved in an
> ongoing collaborative project that will bring a lasting change to their
> community. They took art out of the classroom and out of the picture
> frame and addressed a need in the community. Talk about making art
> meaningful! I'm sure there are lots of other art teachers who help their
> students address environmental and social issues through their art in all
> kinds of ways, in that art classroom and out. How do you do it?
> Anybody have any ideas?

Christine Johnson
CEO, Arts Alive and
Indiana University, IST doctoral student
Bloomington, IN
1-812-331-7968

"Teaching is an Art of the Heart." M. Johnson

Respond to this message.