Re: HIGH SCHOOL graphic arts/CERAMICS/SCULPTURE

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
josh l pete (josh-kc)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 07:55:49 -0500

Respond to this message.

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:45:18 tonya konter <kontert.us>
writes:
>HELLO ALL! I AM A FIRST YEAR TEACHER, AND I AM LOOKING FOR ANY
>EXCITING
>LESSONS THAT ANYONE CAN THROW AT ME. I AM TEACHING HIGH SCHOOL
>SCULPTURE
>AND CERAMICS AND GRAPHIC DESIGN. IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS, PLEASE LET ME
>KNOW. THANKS A BUNCH!

Dear Tonya,

>A GRAPHIC DESIGN idea that I use is to illustrate a song or poem. I
begin with a short video on illustration following by a discussion based
on various books that I have assembled. Books of illustrated poems,
childrens literature, a variety of lettering, border designs and
calligraphy books, art history books, CD covers - basically anything
graphically exciting that has writing that coincides with an
illustration.

The student may select a portion or the entire song or poem. Many
students choose to write their own poem or story to also receive credit
in language arts.

REQUIREMENTS:
1. Enlarge the first letter and do something visually exciting
with it. Inside of the letter may be illustrated.

2. The illustration may be drawn around the outside, behind or
above the words.(1 student chose to write and illustrate in book
form)

3. Choose from ink, marker, watercolor, acrylic, or colored
pencils. (If you use tag or bristol, the best results were in
ink or marker for the lettering and outline of the illustration
filled with colored pencils.)

4. Carefully plan out letter and line spacing EX: Stairway to
heaven - written within a triangle or stair step shape.

This project will last about 3-4 weeks depending how long and how much
effort they put into it. The prep time of letter placement takes the
longest and students seemed to get discouraged. We typed out several
shapes and line ideas which saves tons of time before writing them down.

I hope this helps.

Cherie Peters
North Platte H.S.
P.O. Box 68