RE: Japanese Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:20:04 -0400

Respond to this message.

We have done simple 'Notan' designs. Notan is a Japanese word meaning dark-light- but the whole design theory
is much more than that. I used a book called "Notan - the Dark Light Principle of Design" by Dorr
Bothwell and Marlys Mayfield. Dover Publications (it was $5.95 when I
bought it a few years ago). We did 'exploding squares' - great for
negative and positive shapes and lines of symmetry.
Last year we also used rice paper and folded/dyed it using liquid
watercolors. In Japan, tie-dying paper is known as itajime-shibori.
The dyed paper is used as napkins or for purses or other containers. We
used the paper for origami envelopes. (We have also used it for covers
for our handmade books.)

You could also make paper or create small collages for weathergrams.
"Japanese in origin, weathergrams are short poems written on
biodegradable paper and hung outdoors to be mellowed by natures
elements. They are replaced at the equinox and solstice and become a
unique way of celebrating the seasons."

Ellen

Respond to this message.