Re: Art & Blind Student

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 07:10:49 -0500

Respond to this message.

Caral,

I recntly had some of my middle school students (all sighted) do a series
of drawings of objects they could only 'see' with their hands. Each student
had a bag with an object to look at by feeling with their fingers. I filled
a lot of small brown sandwich bags, with one object each. Some of the
objects I found most successful were a spoon, plyers, nut and bolt, spark
plug, small lightbulb, small glue bottle, stubby screwdriver, etc. Some
students commented it felt like they were blind. Maybe you could adapt the
idea to use in your whole class? Let us know if you try it.

Good Luck!

Mark

At 5:59 AM 9/25/97, CMechlingB wrote:
>Greetings!
> My copies of Artsednet have been stacking up, as school finally began in our
>Washington, D.C. schools - you know how busy that first week can seem, after
>the luxury of *summer break*... ;)
>
> Have a request: anyone had a blind student in class before? Need
>suggestions for activities that I might use with him (Kgn, age 6).
> He cuts well, likes gooey finger paint, can manulipate clay, etc.
> Guess I need your support on this, to add confidence to my working with him.
> He does have a full time aide, but she's never worked with the blind before,
>so we're both flopping fish...
> Please send any suggustions to my e-mail address (too), as I said uptop, my
>longer Lists often get saved for another day...
> MANY THANKS!!!!
> I've gained SO much from you guys!!
> Best Wishes,
> Caral