Re: About copying

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 07:14:10 -0700

Respond to this message.

ttipton.tz wrote:

> Sometimes I show the kids my results,
> other times I do not. Depending mainly on whether I think they will
> copy me, which obviously I do NOT want.
>
> San D
>
> Dear San D,
>
> I have had the same feeling as you about not showing kids my examples
> or my art because of copying. Recently, I was given a new perspective
> on the subject during a conversation with the school headmaster here.
> He reminded me that copying is how children learn, whether in
> imitation of adults, parents, or teachers. Copying letters, copying a
> method, copying a demonstration, so why not copy an image? What I am
> doing now as a result of this new perspective is to tell the students
> if they use "my" images, to change them in some way to make them
> their own and to bring up that artists get ideas from a variety of
> sources, including other artists.
>
> Regards,
> Teresa Tipton

While I understand the concept of copying for "practice" if you will,
most students are so "desperate" to come up with art that is deamed
"good", and "perfect", I have found that they copy for "perfection" and
lose all that makes art, art. They hear me say this a thousand times in
a year, "I respect an idea that is yours, no matter how badly executed
(because we can work on that part!), than one that is perfectly
executed, and NOT yours! And while the addage that there is nothing new
under the sun is quite relevant for artists, and we all DO steal from
each other,(and we call it referencing) I need to teach my adolescent
artists to stand ABOVE the crowd, and be an original with an idea only
you can JUSTIFY. So you see, for me, it really DOES go beyond art, image
and execution.

San D

Respond to this message.