[Fwd: Re: making canvas boards]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 22:43:50 -0700

Respond to this message.

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 16:41:46 -0700
From: kprs <kprs>
To: Fran Marze <fmaiu+@pitt.edu>
Subject: Re: making canvas boards

Fran Marze wrote:

> I have some canvas "scraps" and would like to hear how you did the "bottle
> thing". Thanks.

Hi
I'm sorta awake now. Look for Magritte in an art history book. You
should see examples of his bottle art. Basically he used the bottles as
humans, the neck representing the neck of the person, and the shoulders
etc..

We used acrylic transparent glass medium as the "glue" and painted the
outside of the bottles with the gloss. We then took our scraps and put
them on the bottle using a brush and more medium to apply to scraps to
the bottle in a sort of wall paper technique, using scissors to snip and
tuck to go around corners. Think decoupage techniques when applying the
scraps. I encouraged the kids to use a whole piece to go on the bottle,
adjusting as you go. Let dry for 1-2 days. Then gesso the entire
bottle. Then draw and paint the person, painting the back of the bottle
as if it were the back of the person, etc. I used Botticelli's Venus as
my example, as I always do something myself to see how hard it is, and
to estimate how long it will take. Sometimes I show the kids my results,
other times I do not. Depending mainly on whether I think they will
copy me, which obviously I do NOT want. My beginning art students loved
the project, and learned about applying paint, color theory, and values
at the same time. And, when displayed, they make an interesting
statement about how people come in all different shapes and sizes.

San D

Respond to this message.