Re: making canvas boards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:36:22 -0700

Respond to this message.

MALOSHD wrote:

> Artsednetters-
>
> Has anyone here ever made their own canvas boards before? A nice roll of
> canvas has been donated to my art department, and I would like to have my
> students use it. I don't think I can afford to buy the wood necessary for
> them to stretch their own canvas, but I did think I could afford to buy
> cardboard and stretch, as well as glue the canvas down to it. Has anyone ever
> done this before? What kind of glue should I use? Any suggestions out there?
> - Dawn Malosh, K-8, Tucson, AZ
There is also something to be said for unstretched canvas, that is
gessoed, and then painted on and "presented" in the same way one would
do a tapestry. Think dowels on top and bottom, or clip hangers like a
quilt. I have also seen unstretched canvases by artists in galleries
that are simply tacked to the wall. Also, I use unstretched canvas over
bottles with students and to a painting on the bottles, using the bottle
as the main shape (I think Magritte did it, I don't quite remember, but
it was a long night last night in NYC until 1:00 am at the theater, so
please forgive me). If you are interested in the bottle thing, let me
know, and I'll clear my head and give more details.

San D

Respond to this message.