Re: paper marbeling

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chaney (lchaney)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 20:34:30 -0500

Respond to this message.

--------------2EC9AF8AC7E8DEFFD8437A3A

HI,

I did paper marbelizing with 7th graders last year. We took baking pans
(about 9 X 10" rectangle) that were larger than the paper and filled them
half full with water. Stir in about 1 cup of Borax. You know the laundry
detergent? But it MUST be this brand. I don't know why but others don't
seem to float the ink. We then dropped the inks onto the surface of the
water, very carefully. Some ink still seems to sink. You can drop any
colors in any combinations. Students then use a comb to gently stir the
surface of the water. This mixes up the colors and swirls them. Quickly
place a sheet of paper on the surface and lift up to reveal the marbled
look. We experimented with different papers that I happened to have in the
room. It was the last week of school. Typing paper, watercolor paper,
drawing paper, etc...) Construction paper did not work. I did have some
glossy paper that was used with just black ink. The Borax and Black ink
created a nice looking metalic look to the paper. Don't ask me why we just
experimented.

Studnets than wrapped a piece of cardboard with marbled paper when dry.
They wrapped two pieces to create a book cover and back. Students then
placed sheets of paper between the two cardboard wrapped pieces and stitched
them together like a small notebook or journal. This could be a nice idea
for students to make their own sketchbooks or for writing in.

Hope this was clear. If not let me know.

Melissa Chaney
Midway R-1
Cleveland, MO
K-12