Re: [Fwd: Re: glazes]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:57:13 -0400

Respond to this message.

Hello Judie and all,

There are several books about the Raku process which also include formulas
that are excellent glazes. Here are 2 suggestions for reading material.

Raku Pottery by Robert Pipenberg
Raku by Steven Branfman

For a school setting it would probably be best to use the very simple base
glaze called 80/20 clear.

The chemical components of a 100 grams of a base glaze are:

Gerstley Borate 80.00 grams
Nepheline Synenite 20.00 grams

You can add oxides and carbonates to alter the glaze color or to produce
interesting varying color effects when you are working with surface reduction.

Gerstley Borate is a natural soda/calcium/borate that is rated by John
Conrad is his book, "Advanced Ceramic Manual", as a moderate hazard.
Whether that is specific to it's dry state or when it is in a solution I
would have to look up on the MSDS sheets.

Nepheline Synenite is a soda feldspar which contains no free silica.

Hope this helps,

Numo
Studio One
Oakland, CA
jaegmil

At 05:40 AM 9/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Tonya, I would love to know the procedures for raku firing in an electric
>kiln. Also glaze recipes when you get them.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Judie J

Respond to this message.