Fwd: Re: 21st Century Question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
betti longinotti (p-lstudio)
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 10:37:22 -0400

Respond to this message.

--WebTV-Mail-1779932896-2448

Reatha,
Our Graduation (or Senior) Project stems from a state initiative out of
our Governor's office and a commission he established called the NC
Education Standards and Accountability Commission working with
Performance-Based Assessment. This commission has worked closely with
an organization called CLASS, Grant Wiggens and Everett Kline, of
Princeton, in designing these performance-based tasks. The arts have
been involved in this process thanks to the work of the NC Alliance for
Arts Education, with financial support from the NC Arts Council. We are
currently in a piloting stage with authentic assessment tasks K-12
within various disciplines.
The Graduation project is seen as the culminating authentic or
performance-based assessment in alignment with Goals 2000. Regarding
the GP- Students will need to:
1. Design and complete a significant project
2. Prepare a thorough research to support their project, and write a
research paper.
3. Defend their project with an individualized panel of adult experts,
respective to their field or the project they have designed.
(Each student will have a teacher mentor....this can be within or away
from their school site)
I believe the NC Ed. Standards and Accountability Commission is in
the process of building a website where some of these tasks and
assessment projects can be posted for sharing. When I know the URL I
can let you know.

In Art & Life,
Betti L.
p-lstudio