Re: need clay suggestions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Sun, 07 Sep 1997 06:24:36

Respond to this message.

At 07:51 PM 9/4/97 -0400, Sears, Ellen wrote:
>Each year I have 4 sections of 6th graders (for a 6 week period). One
>of our big projects is a clay piece. I try to incorporate clay
>impressions, glazing, adding clay, subtracting and some hand building.
>I try to have each group do a different project:
> A mirror frame,
> a fish bowl (a fish that has been formed into a shallow bowl),
> a clay 'picture' of their house,
> and an 'illustrated' vase.
>Others I have tried, but I am not sold on, are a hanging vase and a clay
>portrait.
>Does anyone have any ideas they would like to share? Everything starts
>with a slab. (A smaller project in the 5th grade is a clay spoon - with
>impressions, added elements - we use a pinch pot for the bowl and a coil
>for the handle.)
>Thanks,
>Ellen Sears

how about doing some clay projects inspired by cultural studies? there are
some great resources, from net sites to books and videos, on clayworks from
all over the world. you could take a survey approach or concentrate on a
smaller area or group, such as the anasazi potters. also, to me,
architecture and clayworks are a neat combination. as a part of my 7th
graders' architecture unit, we study animal architecture, from tubeworms to
bird nests to bee hives, cocoons, beaver dams...etc. students make
drawings of a structure which combines design elements of a variety of
animal architectures and then use the drawings for a plan to create a 3d
version. the book i use as a main reference for this project is called
animal architecture by karl von frisch. it is fascinating! hope you can
use some of this :) wendy sauls wsauls

Respond to this message.