Re: Ceramics Question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bryan (rekcets)
Thu, 04 Sep 1997 05:49:57 -0700

Respond to this message.

Scott Harrison wrote:

> I teach Ceramics 3 periods a day at the high school level and have
> always fired our electric to cone 04 for glaze. I want to try firing to
> cone 6 and wonder if anybody out there has any suggestions on glazes,
> underglaze, or engobes. I am using a cone six red clay from Laguna. We
> also fire Raku in a small gas kiln. Thanks, Scott Harrison

Scott-
Bisque fire your pots to ^06 and then for ^6 glazes try some commercial
glazes either pre mixed wet or dry. Try a good satin matt glaze and add
different colorants - 1/4% cobalt carb for light blue, 1/2% for med
blue, 2% copper carb for green, 2% iron oxide for tan, 4-6% for brown,
1/2% cobalt and 2% iron oxide for a warm blue, etc. Get any ceramic
book and look at the colorant addition chart in the back.
Many underglazes work well at ^6 and some are now designed to work at
high cones in colors that traditionally won't take the heat. Those are
pinks and purples. Cover with a clear glaze. You won't get a real red
at cone 6 however.
Try a majolica glazes and use underglazes or mason stains to create
designs on the freshly glazed surface.

Good Luck! Let me know how it works.

Anne Stecker
Howard Street Charter School