Re: need clay suggestions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bryan (rekcets)
Thu, 04 Sep 1997 06:27:15 -0700

Respond to this message.

Sears, Ellen wrote:

> Each year I have 4 sections of 6th graders (for a 6 week period). One
> of our big projects is a clay piece. I try to incorporate clay
> impressions, glazing, adding clay, subtracting and some hand building.
> I try to have each group do a different project:
> A mirror frame,
> a fish bowl (a fish that has been formed into a shallow bowl),
> a clay 'picture' of their house,
> and an 'illustrated' vase.
> Others I have tried, but I am not sold on, are a hanging vase and a clay
> portrait.
> Does anyone have any ideas they would like to share? Everything starts
> with a slab. (A smaller project in the 5th grade is a clay spoon - with
> impressions, added elements - we use a pinch pot for the bowl and a coil
> for the handle.)
> Thanks,
> Ellen Sears

Here are some ideas:

1. make a vase using a slab, cut a 2-d vase shape then make a long
cylinder around a thick dowel, but a bottom on it and score and slip it
to the back of the flat vase slab. It is like a bud vase that when
viewed head on looks like a full vase. Have students decorate with
underglazes and cover with a clear glaze, or majolica or perhaps use red
clay cover with black slip and scratch through a design.

2. using a slab of clay and a doilie or objects with texture -
texturize the slab and drape it in a plastic disposable plate or over a
balloon. Use mason stains or underglaze to rub into the bowl after
bisque firing then clear glaze. Remember to take the bowl or plate out
of the draping object so the piece has a flat bottom. A great project
for repetition, texture, pattern, etc.

3. Have students use rubber stamps to press into thin flat slabs of
clay. Cut them out(use small hors'dorves cutters) and decorate a
picture frame, make small pins (jewelery), earrings, etc. These can be
painted with underglazes and glazed or fired and painted with acrylics.

good luck!

Annie Stecker
Howard Street Charter School
710 Howard Street SE